Thursday, March 24, 2011

WhAt's DoWN ThERe?

Even without making decisions, conscious decisions
life is going in a direction
It is the cross sections of our decisions that often direct our lives
It is the who or what that crosses our path
New ideas
New people
New opportunities

One Tuesday in 1986 I went to work as a kindergarten teacher in Denver
I met a substitute teacher in the Teacher's lounge that day
He had just returned from the Peace Corps
I came home that same day
joined the Peace Corps
Changed my life

In 1990 I went to buy a car at Kuehn Motor in Rochester
I used to babysit for the owner
He directed me to a young salesman
my age
I bought a car from the young salesman
I asked him out on a date
Married the guy

Went for coffee with my husband a few years back
Stopped in to an open house on our way home
Bought the house
We weren't really house shopping
it was coffee

Life is interesting
What has directed or redirected your life?
What minor incidents led to a life changes?

2 comments:

My what good taste you have! said...

Love, love, love your blog. It has brought smiles and tears to my face. It has brought back memories galore. Thank you for sharing and for helping wipe the cob-webs off some of those dusty ones...

I remember your Denver kindergarten teaching job...you would send Ell lottery tickets to help pay off your student loans. I don't think he ever hit the big one. :)

I remember you telling me you were joining the Peace Corps - and then calling me collect from Belize (with Nicaraguan soldiers?)...catching live chickens, getting a motorcycle, the inappropriate care package I sent you (who knew bath salts were useless?)...

So many years. So many memories. Thanks. xo

The Shaws said...

I remember the first time I met you...and wanting to be just like you when grew up....you were cool and hip and so beautiful...and you still are!! I am so thankful that you met my uncle on that day and asked him out of a date!