Tuesday, March 1, 2011

GeAR

Hockey gear is necessary and mandated.
Every piece has a purpose.
The pads protect you, the skates allow you to glide across the ice,
the stick allows you to move the puck,
the helmet (with some luck) will protect your head.

My arena is an elementary school.
My gear is what ever I decide to wear that day.
My bunions are a part of me and there is no denying them.
They scream at me if I even look at a pair of heels.
So although I try to dress in contemporary fashion my shoes keep out of "high fashion".
Frankly it's a blessing.  
I envy the woman that can wear the heels and be safe and comfortable in them at the same time.  That woman is not me.

And so it is with flat shoes and comfortable clothes
I head to the school I teach in.  
I also make sure I have an extra layer of clothes.
It is not so much that there are hot and cold spots in the building.
There are.
But it is more that I am living in the body of a menopausal woman.
A menopausal woman with extreme hot flashes.
ugh.

So that's my gear on a day to day basis.  
What's yours?





No comments: