Wednesday, February 9, 2011

At some point most of us give in and sell the damn stuff.

It used to be we opted for the buy out.  But the buy out became too expensive, so now we ask our neighbors and friends to help share the cost of our kids participating in their favorite activities.

Today was hockey pizza pick up day.

Fundraisers are part of our culture.  I wonder what my parents did to raise money for the activities they participated in.  Perhaps in simpler times the programs didn't cost what they do today.  Will there come a day when we all say... ENOUGH all ready.

Its almost like a kid sized ponzi scheme.  We just keep shuffling the dollars, I'll buy from you if you buy from me.  And the middle man takes a cut for handing it from me to you and vise versa in the guise of a __(fill in the blank)__.  We have sold pizza, candy, magazines, peaches, wrapping paper, butter braids, coupon books, wreaths, popcorn, toffee peanuts, cookie dough.

A boy came to my house the other day selling softner salt as a fund raiser.  Now that's a practical fund raiser.

I'm waiting for the day when the kids come door to door to sell me a bottle of wine and a micro brew beer.  On that day I may buy for the product and convenience of a home delivery rather than just to support the kid.






1 comment:

Debbie M said...

Oh, I hear you on this one! I do feel as if we just pass the money back and forth to each other. One time, one of my son's teams had them sell raffle-type tickets asking for money, giving nothing in return...it wasn't organized to even know what the prize was or when the drawing was to be held. I blew on that one.